skip navigation

Welcome, Guest [log in · register]
Cwn Annwn
Search
Page 1 of 1 1
Zazou
The Cwn Annwn wishes you a happy new year, filled with much merriment and questing!

Hopefully everyone is finding the new revision of our website at least as useful as before. If you’re not, let us know why! We’re open to suggestions for new features, and, as always, bug reports. Please continue to send me tells, or post in the forums.

Perhaps even better (since it involves less work for us!), if any players have guides or other information that they wish to publish, or wish to develop, let us know. We’re open to ideas, and can help you release your guide on (tongue-in-cheek) the best MM website.
Qualnual If you could have miniquest guides like KoC has, that’d be awesome, especially for the ones that give marks like Aroxa tower does. Also, if you could have the login page redirect us to where we were previously when we click the login page, then that’d be awesome too.

Also, "data" is a plural noun, so if you could fix that in the prefs page, that’d be great as well.

Edited by Qualnual on Sat, 02 Jan 2010 07:12:06 +0000.
Zazou
I was sort of hoping people would write the guides for us. ;) I’ll look at putting a link back to where you were on the login page (like Wikipedia does)—-I’m not a huge fan of redirects.

And no, in modern English it’s often acceptable to treat "data" as a mass noun. That’s certainly the usage that more people will be familiar with.
Qualnual Ah yes, the link thing would be good enough.

And I know that using the term data as a singular word is acceptable in modern English, but so is the use of the word "ain’t." The dictionary describes how words are used, not necessarily how they are correctly used. XD
Zazou
I wasn’t citing the dictionary for correct usage; that would be inappropriate. Correct usage is defined (in my opinion) by what actually manages to get published, since one hopes that’s gone past several anal-retentive men in booths checking it carefully.

These days, you will find that "data" is used often in newspapers, books, and other publications. Annoyingly, though, most publications aren’t consistent in it (especially newspapers). Manuals of style also vary on the issue; not all accept its use as a mass noun, but an increasing number do, leaving it to the preference of the author.

If we have to have this argument next time I split an infinitive or end a sentence with a preposition, let me know in advance. :p
Ovelia
Sweet Nepsister is back! :D
Zazou
Yes, while adding it, I nearly vomited at how disgusting it is. D:
Damone
Nepsister?
Qualnual
Zazou
I wasn’t citing the dictionary for correct usage; that would be inappropriate. Correct usage is defined (in my opinion) by what actually manages to get published, since one hopes that’s gone past several anal-retentive men in booths checking it carefully.

These days, you will find that "data" is used often in newspapers, books, and other publications. Annoyingly, though, most publications aren’t consistent in it (especially newspapers). Manuals of style also vary on the issue; not all accept its use as a mass noun, but an increasing number do, leaving it to the preference of the author.

If we have to have this argument next time I split an infinitive or end a sentence with a preposition, let me know in advance. :p

Oh, I knew you weren’t citing the dictionary for correct usage, but the dictionary does say that culture has accepted the use. Doesn’t mean I don’t hate that you used "data" as a singular noun, though.

And, as far as newspapers are concerned, they have to be published too soon for several anal-retentive men to check it carefully. Hmm, maybe they should hire no-Trudy, no-Molly Monk. He’s all they’d need, anyway.

Edited by Qualnual on Wed, 06 Jan 2010 05:13:37 +0000.
Page 1 of 1 1