skip navigation

Welcome, Guest [log in · register]
Cwn Annwn
Search
Page 1 of 1 1
Dragonburner could it be changed to give a range to affects given by items representing the possible range of values possible for their affects

e.g.

a diary can give anywhere from 1-3 wisdom, etc…
Katran
I think we all understand that everything is within 2 up or down, though. :S

Last edited on March 3, 2007 11:08pm.
Dragonburner well, its annoying to have to go through the svs/armor/etc and check to see what all items that you would never used unless they were f/s need to have +1 added too
Katran
…what? I’m not sure that’s a sentence. :S

The value that we put up is usually the "average" or "usual" number… or the number that would be on the eq if there was no variance.

Last edited on March 4, 2007 09:50pm.
Dragonburner well, for example.

the ‘average’ armor on a pair of silver handcuffs is 2. but since they’re cheap and easy to get, nobody wears them unless they’re 3. Yet the eq builder shows 2, and i ahve to go back through and add +1 to all ar values if i use one in an eq build…
Tejon
This is a technological issue that we’re working on. Currently when you build and save a set of gear, the database indices for the pieces of gear you’re wearing get stored in a magic cookie on your local machine. Then when you load a set, it just retrieves those items and applies them to your model character. It’s an extremely convenient and portable way to implement the Gear Machine, although it really isn’t the way magic cookies were meant to be used. This scheme has the nice little feature that the cookies are human readable— feel free to search for the string ‘slot’ in your cookies, and you’ll find one for each set of gear you have saved. Actually, the ‘gearcode’ that the Machine displays are pretty much the cookies verbatim.

The problem lies in that storage in a magic cookie is very limited. We can fit your name, your stats, and a single integer for each equipment slot, and that’s about it. If you want item specific information, then we would have to store one or more effect types/effect modifiers for each item. Whether that is going to fit in the limited magic cookie storage for all browsers in this simple human readable fashion is doubtful. Thus we might be forced to do some more encoding to compress the data, or to store the information on the server somehow. Both are possible, but we just haven’t hit that item yet on our extensive ‘To Do’ list.

Anyway, thanks a lot for taking an interest. We put a lot of work into the Gear Machine and want it to be useful to people, so this kind of feedback is incredibly welcome, though I know it seems we aren’t jumping on it immediately. Even if it had done nothing else, it bumped the planned changes up the To Do queue.

Tejon
Page 1 of 1 1